WHAT: Launch of a Partnership between African Union, Africa CDC and the Mastercard Foundation
- His Excellency Felix Antoine Tshisekedi, President of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Chairperson of the African Union
- His Excellency Paul Kagame, President of the Republic of Rwanda and AU Domestic Health Financing Champion
- His Excellency Cyril Ramaphosa, President of the Republic of South Africa and AU COVID-19 Champion
- His Excellency Moussa Faki Mahamat, Chairperson of the African Union Commission
- Ms Reeta Roy, President & CEO, Mastercard Foundation
- Dr John Nkengasong, Director, Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC)
- Mr. Stepples Muchimba, Acting Head of Protocol, AUC
- Wynne Musabayana, Head of Communication, AUC
WHEN: Tuesday, 8 June 2021
TIME: 3.00pm-3.50pm (EAT), 8.00am-8.50am (ET), 2.00pm-2.50pm (CT), 1.00pm-1.50pm (WAT)
Live stream: https://livestream.com/africanunion/events/9033858
On Africa CDC social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
Languages: The event will be available in English and French through interpretation.
Overview: This partnership for COVID-19 vaccination in Africa, under the name “Saving Lives and Livelihoods”, will support Member States in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic through large-scale vaccination with safe and efficacious vaccines against the disease. This will include the purchase of millions of vaccines and support for the delivery of vaccines across Africa, and strengthen Africa CDC’s capacity to oversee a historic vaccination effort. The partnership will also lay the groundwork to enable the regional manufacturing of vaccines and build the Africa CDC’s preparedness capabilities to respond to potential future health crises.