Date: Dec 15, 2023
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Shari
Reports to: Senior Technical Officer, Division of Laboratory Systems
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Division : Africa CDC Reference Laboratories
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Fixed term
Location: Addis Ababa
Purpose of Job
The Technical Officer is responsible for providing technical support to the Division of Laboratory Systems Unit in the areas of laboratory management, quality assurance, and capacity building. This includes developing and implementing laboratory procedures, training laboratory staff, and providing technical advice to partners.
This job involves the following main functions that are generally applicable for this category:
• monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
• Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
• Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and Africa CDC internal use.
• Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
• Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
• Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
• Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets.
• Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Unit/Division
• Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders
• Develop and implement laboratory procedures and protocols.
• Conducting situational analyses and needs assessments of laboratory systems and capacities in African countries and regions
• Developing and implementing strategic plans, work plans, budgets, and monitoring and evaluation frameworks for laboratory systems strengthening activities
• Providing technical assistance and mentorship to national and regional laboratory networks, reference laboratories, and quality assurance programs
• Supporting the development and dissemination of laboratory standards, guidelines, policies, and best practices
• Facilitating the procurement, distribution, and maintenance of laboratory equipment, supplies, and reagents
• Organizing and conducting trainings, workshops, webinars, and other capacity building activities for laboratory staff and managers
• Participating in laboratory surveillance, outbreak investigation, and emergency response activities
• Preparing and presenting technical reports, briefs, proposals, and publications on laboratory systems issues
• Representing Africa CDC at regional and international meetings, conferences, and forums on laboratory matters
• Train laboratory staff on laboratory procedures and quality assurance.
• Provide technical advice to partners on laboratory matters.
• Participate in laboratory quality assurance activities.
• Conduct laboratory assessments and audits.
• Maintain laboratory equipment and supplies.
• Stay up-to-date on new laboratory technologies and techniques.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Bachelor Degree in Medical Laboratory Science, Biology, Public Health or a related field OR Masters Degree in same areas of study, coupled with five (5) or two (2) years relevant work experience for Bachelor and Masters degree holders respectively, in laboratory management or quality assurance.
• Higher qualification will be an advantage.
• Proficiency in laboratory equipment and procedures.
• Five years for Bachelor or two years for Masters degree holders experience should be in laboratory systems strengthening, quality management, or biosafety and biosecurity in Africa or other resource-limited settings
• Demonstrated knowledge and skills in laboratory methods, techniques, equipment, and standards
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership, and teamwork skills
• Proficiency in English and French (both oral and written)
• Ability to work independently and under pressure in a multicultural environment
• Willingness to travel frequently within Africa and abroad.
• Experience with laboratory information systems (LIS).
• Experience with data analysis and interpretation.
• Experience with quality assurance.
• Experience in training and mentoring.
..Teamwork and Collaboration
Fosters Accountability Culture..
Communicating with Influence
Analytical thinking and problem solving..
Job Knowledge and information sharing
Drive for Results
Continuous Improvement Focus
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) is mandatory and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 85,212.07 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 66,751.81 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Applications must be submitted no later than January 15, 2024 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 2051