Date: Sep 5, 2023
Location: Ethiopia, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and TeamWork • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Principal Communication Officer
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
The Senior Communications Officer will report to the Head of Division, with the primary responsibility for executing media product development for the enterprise communications platform supporting the long-term vision, strategic direction and annual goals and objectives of the Africa CDC. This work involves content development for all manner of agency internal and external communications, including website content, communiqués and press releases, promotional materials, social media content, risk communications, the graphic layout of agency publications, and other media products. Social and environmental factors in terms of the Africa CDC social and environmental will be relevant, including demographic, hardship, travel, and other local conditions.
• Communications Planning & Implementation
o Support the implementation of the overall communications and advocacy strategy and to contribute to the development and review of Africa CDC advocacy plans and programmes
o Propose public awareness campaigns aimed at raising awareness about Africa CDCs work in promoting public health sector governance and management
o Support Head of Unit to conduct communications needs assessments for Africa CDC departments and natonal institutions / centres and drive design of overall internal and external communications and outreach targets
o Compile and present regular reports capturing all deliverables and achievements of Africa CDS work in the public health sector
o Provide communication coverage of Africa CDC events at HQ and on mission
• Content & Editorial Support
o Support the Head of Unit in reviewing editorial content prior to final review and publication
o Support the development/production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials, factsheets, branding material
o Produce written materials for publication and publicity, such as newsletters, annual reports, brochures, leaflets
o Liaise with AU studio and Web teams (Africa CDC / ICD to ensure coverage of Africa CDC events and ensure records of material are assigned references and digitally archived at the AU Archives.
• Digital Marketing
o Contribute information to create awareness on digital platforms and ensure updates of key activities and messages are regularly provided
o Support content development on key mandates and programmes – Website, Social Media. Mobile Platforms
o Develop content for digital platforms including webcasts, podcasts, video animations / documentaries as per approved plans
o Manage two-way messaging on social media platforms in relation to sectoral issues and propriety areas for Africa CDC
• Media Engagement and Advocacy
o Identify opportunities for placement of key messages and editorial content on various media channels including digital in relation to the sector and key programmes implemented by the Africa CDC
o Support advocacy activities by preparing talking points on key activities and programmes
o Provide editorial content for publications
o Write press releases, note to editors as well as any briefings to be disseminated to the public through the media in relation to programme areas
o Work with media and news division to organise regular media briefings for Africa CDC stakeholders about the work of the Africa CDC (press conferences, press releases, interviews of key principles)
o Develp a media engagement strategy for journalists providing expertise coverage in the public health sector
o Collate a media database of journalists in the public health secor and ensure information is added to the global AU media database at the ICD
• Perform aAny other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Provide technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in the area of specialization, as required.
Deliver on the main functions listed above focusing on the work of Africa CDC and supporting the communication need of related Africa CDC institutions based in member states
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• University Masters Degree in Marketing Management or International Communications or Journalism. Up to 7 years of progressively relevant experience at the regional or international level in corporate marketing, public relations or media industry (as a senior journalist or with editorial content control) out of which at least three years should be at specialist/expert level serving in communication roles in public health or related setting with a proven track record of promoting communication priorities and working with digital media platforms and tools with private sector communications agencies and public relations firms
• A Bachelor University Degree in the above fields of study, coupled with ten (10) years of the stated work experience is acceptable in lieu of Masters Degree.
• Professional certification / diploma in marketing or public relations will be an added advantage
• Additional level of academic qualification in Communication, Journalism or related fields will be an advantage.
• Experience developing and implementing communication activities for national government or public sector, regional or international government or non-governmental organisations, multinational organisations, advertising agencies or leading media companies will be a distinct advantage
• Continuous and relevant work experience serving in communication roles in public health or related setting; experience working with large programmes is preferred. Experience with the private sector communications agencies and public relations firms is also a plus.
• Demonstrated success working with senior leaders in high-profile situations to advance strategic communication goals. Experience working in a technical public health domain is also a plus.
• Proven track record at successfully managing relationships with key media outlets to promote communication priorities – e.g. issuance of press releases and organizing media events.
• Demonstrable experience in working with digital media platforms and tools:
• Professional level experience with social media, e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, and social media measurements tools, e.g., Hootsuite, Simply Measured, and/or Sprout Social.
• Experience working with PR tools/databases such as Business Wire, Vocus and Cision is a plus.
• Previous experience working and/or living in developing countries is preferred.
• Comprehensive knowledge of the range of administrative laws, policies, regulations, and precedents applicable to the development and administration of domestic and international health communication programmes. Ability to research, develop, evaluate key health communication policies, procedures, and guidelines, and advise the Coordinator and Principal Communications Officer as appropriate.
• Strong command of document and graphic presentation and media software systems and tools.
• Possesses excellent organization and project management skills and composure: ability to handle competing priorities and work effectively in a challenging, fast-paced environment; exercises judgment in managing confidential/sensitive information – trustworthy.
• Interpersonal relationship skills to establish and maintain effective and diplomatic working relations and to secure the support and cooperation of others.
• Excellent verbal and written skills and experience in executing various writing styles and voices, including journalistic and executive writing.
• Demonstrated ability in computer skills, including excellent word-processing capabilities, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications experience in using office software such as MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
• Ability to work under pressure, stay on track and meet deadlines
• Analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Proven ability to use clear, concise language in correspondence as well as including content fitting for the purpose and audiences when preparing written briefs and reports.
• Able to operate in a multicultural environment.
• High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit.
• Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible.
• Pro-active and solutions-oriented.
• Applicants must be proficient in at least two African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish). Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
Strategic Insight ….
Building Relationship ….
Accountable and Complies with Rules…
Communicating with Influence…
Conceptual thinking ….
Job Knowledge and information sharing…
Drive for Result ….
Continuous Improvement Orientation:
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be submitted no later than October 05, 2023. 11h59 p.m. EAT
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 1961