Date: Sep 6, 2023
Location: Ethiopia, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Director of Administration
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Number of Direct Reports: 5
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P5
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
The Head of Human Resource Management Division shall develop and manage the execution of the HR strategy and core areas of the HR Management Division including recruitment, employee relations, human resource administration, employee engagement, payroll, reward and recognition, as well as maintaining and improving HR systems in line with the AU policies, regulations and rules, as well as within available HR budget.
The Head of HRM must embody the business’s culture, being responsible for the wellbeing of the workforce and attracting new talent. Responsibilities are centered on leading the HR Management Division processes and driving people management strategies. This includes coaching, mentoring and supporting staff members to identify their individual strengths and development needs, while championing an open, embracing culture of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) throughout Africa CDC. The incumbent will also ensure that the human resources programs and initiatives are implemented effectively and efficiently.
• Provide reports on all areas of HR, Payroll and Learning and Development, including the application of / compliance towards AU Staff Regulations and Rules, HR policy, best practices and workforce development initiatives.
• Advise and strategize on the development of effective employment policies across the institution.
• Provide professional leadership, support and develop HR staff, in order to increase knowledge, share best practices and to ensure that relevant professional standards are met.
• Ensure that Africa CDC complies with AU Staff Regulations and Rules, accepted professional standards, policies, procedures and legislations (including legislation on data protection, the equality principles, health and safety).
• Manage the execution of the HR Strategy and core areas of the HRM Division including Recruitment, Employee Relations, HR Administration, Employee Engagement, Payroll, Reward and Recognition, as well as maintaining and improving HR systems and management of the HR budget.
• Drive the continuous improvement agenda with focus on engagement & welfare activities, maximizing productivity, devolving HR responsibilities to line managers and building leadership capability.
• Take a lead role in transforming and strengthening the organizational culture, ensuring that the company values and approach are displayed.
• Execute a plan for diversity, equality, and inclusion that aligns with company values, business strategy and commitments.
• Regularly coach, mentor and support senior and high potential colleagues to identify individual strengths and development needs, develop and maintain effective relationships and encourage retention.
• Ensure managers are sufficiently skilled and enabled to access appropriate guidance and information to manage workforce issues.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Public Administration, Business Administration, Psychology, Education or a related field with twelve (12) years’ relevant and progressive work experience, out of which seven (7) and five (5) must be at managerial and direct supervisory levels
• Proven experience as a senior leader of human resource functions/units with specialized knowledge in recruitment, performance management, employee relations, payroll and benefits, HR operations (including but not limited to contract management, leave administration etc)
• Experience in contributing towards the development and review of HR policies and procedures, analysis of HR-related information to inform the review of HR instruments
• Experience in international organisations of similar scale, in managing multicultural teams with various professional backgrounds
• Experience in leading organisational change and/or transformation processes within public sector or similar institutions nationally, regionally and/or internationally.
• Strong knowledge of HR best practices and trends.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills, as well as a strategic mindset and a problem-solving attitude.
• Ability to handle complex and sensitive issues with professionalism and discretion, and promote a culture of trust, respect, and collaboration across the organization.
• Familiarity to HR information systems
Managing Risk ….
Foster Accountability Culture
Communicating with impact:
Job Knowledge and information sharing:
Drive for Results…
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be submitted no later than October 6, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees, and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less-represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 1975