Date: Sep 5, 2023
Location: Ethiopia, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and TeamWork • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Head of Advocacy and Communication Division
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Number of Direct Reports:0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
The Communications Officer will report to the Head of Advocacy and Communication, with the primary responsibility for executing media product development for the enterprise communications platform supporting the long-term vision, strategic direction and annual goals and objectives of the Africa CDC. This work involves content development for all manner of agency internal and external communications, including website content, communiqués and press releases, promotional materials, social media content, risk communications, graphic layout of agency publications, and other media products.
• Media Engagement
o Under guidance write press releases, note to editors as well as any briefings to be disseminated to the public through the media in relation to Africa CDC activities
o Scan the news environment and identify opportunities for placement of key messages and editorial content on various media channels including digital in relation to the key programmes implemented by the AU
o Support advocacy activities by sourcing key information for talking points on key activities and programmes
o Support sourcing and providing editorial content for publications
o Organise media briefings for Africa CDC (press conferences, press releases, interviews of key principles)
o Maintain an updated database on journalists providing expertise coverage public health sector and ensure submission of data to global AU media database
• Communication and Programmes implementation
o Support the implementation of the communications and advocacy strategy for Africa CDC and contribute to the implementation of programmes
o Support the planning and implementation of public awareness campaigns aimed at raising awareness about Africa CDCs work and report on the progress of the campaigns
o Compile and present regular reports capturing all deliverables and achievements of Africa CDC
o Provide communication coverage of events at HQ and on mission
• Content & Editorial Support
o Support the development/production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials, factsheets, branding material
o Support production of publicity material such as newsletters, annual reports, brochures, leaflets
o Support the in sourcing and compiling editorial content from Africa CDC departments and stakeholders for review prior by supervisors
o Ensure coverage of Africa CDC events and ensure records of material are assigned references and digitally archived in the AU Archives
• Marketing numérique
o Contribuer à la sensibilisation sur les plateformes numériques et surveiller l’engagement du public afin de garantir des mises à jour régulières des activités et des messages clés ;
o Soutenir le développement de contenus sur les mandats et programmes clés en recherchant le matériel clé à publier sur le site web et les médias sociaux ; Plateformes numériques
o Élaborer du contenu pour les plateformes numériques, y compris des webcasts, des podcasts, des animations vidéo et des documentaires, conformément aux plans approuvés ;
• Établissement de rapports
o Fournir des rapports réguliers sur la couverture par les médias accrédités et d’autres médias des activités du CDC Afrique ;
o Se tenir informé des tendances des médias et de la presse et suivre les évolutions des technologies de diffusion de l’information et fournir des rapports qui peuvent aider le CDC Afrique à améliorer ses activités d’information.
• Elaborate and implement communications strategies, including media strategy to achieve the Africa CDC agenda;
• Establish and maintain communication channels and a database with continental, regional and national focal points and the media including dissemination of information;
• Facilitate data collection and disseminate continent-wide country-level performance monitoring reports, such as the Scoring African Leadership report;
• Advocate for and sensitize Member States and other stakeholders as to the ownership, the coordination and the implementation of public health policies;
• Maintain contact with relevant institutions involved in Public Health research and advocacy and cooperate with RECs, UN Agencies, AU specialized institutions, Organizations, NGOs and CSOs with a view to raising awareness and maximizing implementation of pertinent projects and programmes;
• Assist in the preparation and organization of meetings;
• Act as liaison between Africa CDC communications team and the communications focal points of Member States.
• Support capacity building in communications for representatives of Member States.
• Develop and provide content for Africa CDC communication materials, including newsletters, reports, guidelines, documentaries, etc.
• Support the documentation of success stories and documentaries and campaign materials for Africa CDC and Member States;
• Prepare documents and write reports;
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Bachelor Degree Mass Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Public Policy, or a related field with an additional training in advocacy and social communication, with at least five (5) years of relevant professional work experience
• Master’s Degree in the above fields from an accredited academic institution with at least two (2) years of relevant work professional experience,
• Relevant work experience in public health communication, including at the international level is required.
• Experience in using a wide variety of communication methods and platforms, including social media, to support internal and external communications.
• Working knowledge of policy analysis and programme/project development, implementation and monitoring;
• Excellent content creation, including writing and editing, skills for public health programmes.
• Ability to communicate complex and abstract concepts to different audiences.
• Good written and oral knowledge of any of one African Union working languages. Knowledge of additional language would be an advantage.
• Ability to work quickly and thoroughly in an organized manner under pressure while paying attention to details.
• Good planning and organizational skills;
• Able to deliver key outputs on time and within budget ceiling.
• Ability to advocate and communicate persuasively to stakeholders and different audiences.
• A good knowledge of public health issues.
• Excellent computer and IT skills including the use of social media. Computer literacy (processing of word, data and graphic).
• Excellent people management skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work autonomously and in a multi-cultural environment; Excellent report writing and presentation skills;
• Good communication and negotiating skills;
Teamwork and Collaboration..
Accountability awareness and Compliance..
Communicating with Influence ….
Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
Job Knowledge and information sharing..
Drive for Result ….
Continuous Improvement Focus
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be submitted no later than October 05, 2023. 11h59 p.m. EAT
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 1972