Job title: Social Media and Digital Officer
Number of posts: 1 (one)
Grade: AU/P2 equivalency
Department: Directorate of Communication and Public Information
Supervisor: Head, Corporate Communication and Public Information
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a non-profit organization established in 2005 with a mission to improve human health through the strengthening and expansion of applied epidemiology and laboratory capacity in partnership with Ministries of Health, Non-Governmental Organizations, international agencies, private sector and other public health agencies. AFENET has its headquarters in Kampala, Uganda with operations in more than 30 African Countries.
Officially launched in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in January 2017 as a specialized technical institution
of the African Union, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) is Africa’s first continent-wide public health agency. Africa CDC envisions a safer, healthier, integrated and stronger Africa, where Member States are capable of effectively responding to outbreaks of infectious diseases and other public health threats. The agency’s mission is to strengthen Africa’s public health institutions’ capabilities to detect and respond quickly and effectively to disease outbreaks and other health burdens through an integrated network of continent-wide preparedness and response, surveillance, laboratory, and research programs. Towards meeting its mission, the Africa CDC will work with African Union (AU) Member States, WHO, and partners in the five geographic regions of the AU to strengthen their capacity in at least five strategic priority areas: (1) public health surveillance and disease intelligence; (2) public health emergency preparedness and response; (3) public health laboratory systems and networks; (4) public health information and technology systems; and (5) public health research and public health institutes.
The Africa CDC invites applications who are citizens of AU Member States to apply for the position of Social Media and Digital Officer.
The social media and digital and Officer will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing digital and social media strategies to be a powerful means for the Africa CDC to amplify its messages, engage target audiences, and strengthen its impact in promoting public health in Africa. The officer will work closely with the Africa CDC team and external stakeholders to ensure real-time communication on social media platforms to disseminate accurate information efficiently, vital updates on disease threats, and outbreak management
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Social Media and Digital Officer shall;
- Develop and execute digital and social media strategies to promote the public health initiatives of Africa CDC and enhance the agency’s visibility across various platforms.
- Create compelling content for digital and social media channels, including websites, blogs, posts, videos, and infographics.
- Manage and maintain different digital and social media accounts, ensuring consistent branding, timely updates, and engagement with the audience.
- Monitor social media trends, conversations, and emerging issues related to public health and develop relevant content to address and respond to these topics.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, including internal teams, partner organisations, and influencers, to amplify the reach and impact of social media campaigns.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase the digital and social media presence of Africa CDC, including audience growth, engagement, and outreach.
- Utilize social media analytics and other digital tools to measure the effectiveness of campaigns and content and provide regular reports and recommendations for improvement.
- Stay updated on new digital and social media trends, tools, and platforms to ensure Africa CDC remains at the forefront of digital communication strategies.
- Support other Africa CDC team members in leveraging digital and social media platforms for their respective initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with Africa CDC’s communication guidelines and standards in all digital and social media activities.
Qualification and work experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in digital media and communications, marketing, or a related field. A master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in social media management, analytics and digital platforms
Required Professional Work experience.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing digital and social media strategies in a professional capacity.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to create engaging content for different digital and social media platforms.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of various social media platforms, best practices, and emerging trends.
- Proficiency in using content management systems, social media management and enterprise tools, analytics platforms and digital apps
- Experience in SEO and digital optimisations.
- Familiarity with graphic design software and ability to create visually appealing digital assets.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, manage priorities, and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong skills in graphic and video capture and editing.
- Knowledge of public health issues and the African health landscape is desirable.
- Experience working in international and multicultural organisations.
- Proven of professional certification in social media is an added advantage.
- Professional training in social media marketing, promotion, and content development is required.
a. Functional skills
- Proven knowledge and experience in utilising social media platforms and digital marketing strategies to amplify advocacy efforts and engage with target audiences.
- Ability to conduct social media perception and research for improvement.
- Research and Analysis: Strong research and analytical skills to gather and analyse relevant data, track campaign metrics, and measure the impact of advocacy and promotional activities.
- Capacity to develop innovative and creative approaches to communicate public health messages and engage audiences effectively.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritise tasks, and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Collaboration and Teamwork with strong interpersonal skills
b. Personal Abilities
- Research and data interpretation skills
- Cultural intelligence
- Negotiation and diplomacy skills
- Creative problem-solving
- Knowledge of international health frameworks and policies
- Results-oriented mindset
- Passion for public health
Applicants must be proficient in at least one of the AU languages (Arabic, English, French, Spanish and Portuguese). Knowledge of one or more additional African Union working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be renewed annually subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Remuneration Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073 (P2 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment 46% of basic salary (US$14,293), Housing allowance of US$ 22,932 per annum. Thus a total of US$68,298 per annum plus Gratuity of 15% of Gross Salary per annum.