Job title: Senior Media and Outreach Officer
Number of posts: 1 (one)
Grade: AU/P3 equivalency
Department: Directorate of Communication and Public Information
Supervisor: Head, Corporate Communication and Public Information
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a non-profit organization established in 2005 with a mission to improve human health through the strengthening and expansion of applied epidemiology and laboratory capacity in partnership with Ministries of Health, Non-Governmental Organizations, international agencies, private sector and other public health agencies. AFENET has its headquarters in Kampala, Uganda with operations in more than 30 African Countries.
Officially launched in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in January 2017 as a specialized technical institution
of the African Union, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) is Africa’s first continent-wide public health agency. Africa CDC envisions a safer, healthier, integrated and stronger Africa, where Member States are capable of effectively responding to outbreaks of infectious diseases and other public health threats. The agency’s mission is to strengthen Africa’s public health institutions’ capabilities to detect and respond quickly and effectively to disease outbreaks and other health burdens through an integrated network of continent-wide preparedness and response, surveillance, laboratory, and research programs. Towards meeting its mission, the Africa CDC will work with African Union (AU) Member States, WHO, and partners in the five geographic regions of the AU to strengthen their capacity in at least five strategic priority areas: (1) public health surveillance and disease intelligence; (2) public health emergency preparedness and response; (3) public health laboratory systems and networks; (4) public health information and technology systems; and (5) public health research and public health institutes.
The Africa CDC invites applications who are citizens of AU Member States to apply for the position of Senior Media and Outreach Officer.
As part of its growing communications team, Africa CDC is looking for an enthusiastic new media outreach manager. You will connect the organisation with the media and deliver our story with impact. You will shape stories and develop pitch and methodical outreach plans for legacy media, digital media and social influencers. Our preferred candidate has strong journalism experience and a background in the industry. An excellent editorial understanding of news, features and cultures is essential.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Media and Outreach Officer shall;
- Provide creative and strategic guidance on media relations.
- Develop media and outreach strategies and plan.
- Develop and oversee the execution of strategic media relations programs focused on proactive, positive storytelling, including national stories and relationship-building tactics with journalists.
- Work with all departments to identify their strongest, most impactful stories. Develop storylines aligned with the goals of the Africa CDC mandate.
- Oversee a wide range of media outreach activities and measure results. Ensure Africa CDC get the media coverage that is most essential and appropriate to them.
- Manage press planning and pitch stories to national, regional and international media.
- Develop press materials as well as recommendations and program recaps.
- Recommend and implement initiatives that will improve the public’s perception of Africa CDC.
- Monitor media coverage related to Africa CDC’s work and relevant public health topics.
- Compile media coverage reports and analyse the impact of media outreach efforts.
- Support in coordinating interviews with key Africa CDC spokespeople and subject matter experts.
- Ensure seamless communication between media representatives and internal stakeholders.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of media-related events, conferences, and press briefings.
- Conduct press review and analysis
- Provide on-site support during media engagements.
- Monitor media inquiries and coordinate responses as needed.
- Develop and implement media monitoring systems.
- Provide media training to health journalists across the continent and Africa CDC management
Qualification and work experience required:
- A Master’s degree or its equivalent in Communications, Journalism, Broadcasting, Public and Media Relations or related field, with a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant work experience in the area of corporate communication, journalism, and advocacy with at least three (3) years at a supervisory level in an international organisation.
- A Bachelor’s degree in the above-mentioned fields with ten (12) years of experience and at least three (3) at a supervisory level in an international organisation.
Required Professional Work Experience
- Proven experience in media relations or public relations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong understanding of the media landscape in Africa and a good understanding of global media and news cycles.
- Have a nose for news
- Agile and tactical
Required Skills and Competencies
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organisational and multitasking skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and media monitoring tools.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Attention to detail.
- Discretion and confidentiality
- Problem-solving and initiative
Applicants must be proficient in at least one of the AU languages (Arabic, English, French, Spanish and Portuguese). Knowledge of one or more additional African Union working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be renewed annually subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Remuneration Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453 (P3 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment 46% of basic salary (US$17,228.38), Housing allowance of US$ 22,932 per annum. Thus a total of US$77,613.38 per annum plus Gratuity of 15% of Gross Salary per annum.