Date: Aug 24, 2023
Location: Ethiopia, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and TeamWork • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Deputy Director
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
The Senior IT Officer reports directly to the Head of Management and Administration, and technically, to the Head of Management Information Systems Division. The Senior IT Officer performs a range of assignments related to planning, designing, developing, implementing, and maintaining Africa CDC computer information systems and applications, and is responsible for the design and maintenance of these systems and applications. The incumbent also develops technical approaches in consultation/coordination with others involving a range of hardware and software tools and the interface of these various tools and develops programming in high level languages involving complex validity checks and processing that are complex and may involve varied and numerous programs and applications that are interrelated, requiring extensive interfacing with other applications and systems.
• Provide technical support in the preparation and implementation of programmes developed out of the Office’s strategic plan
• Ensure effective coordination and implementation at various levels
• Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other stakeholders on relevant matters
• Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Office
• Provide technical support for the development of resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders coordination
• Manage and supervise employees under his/her supervision with regard to organization and performance evaluation.
• Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Africa CDC and AU’s internal use.
• Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
• Participate in the preparation of budgets of Africa CDC in accordance with relevant frameworks, particularly in his/her area of work. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required.
• Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans
• Oversees the operation, maintenance, trouble-shooting and local enhancement/extensions of automated systems; monitor transactions to measure the performance and continuing effectiveness of Africa CDC IT systems;
• Oversees staff responsible for maintaining the office local-area network (LAN), wide-area network (WAN), network segment, Internet, or intranet system and provide day-to-day onsite administrative support and periodic servicing of the network and all peripherals;
• Diagnoses and resolves complex technical problems, associated with computer hardware and software interrelationships/dependencies and ensure availability to system users;
• Coordinates delivery of repair and maintenance services for all Africa CDC IT equipment, servers, networks infrastructure and peripherals, and execution of new installation of IT equipment and infrastructure.
• Works with the MIS Division staff to resolve operational problems.
• Develops and maintains computer programs requiring integration of many interrelated systems and program elements; write computer programs to extract and transfer data from other databases; ensure smooth data flow and be responsible for security measures to protect confidentiality; direct others who write computer programs.
• Develops strategy for specific applications and participate in developing overall strategy for major systems.
• Develops training materials, technical and user documentation, and publicity information; train staff in information/data systems.
• Performs cost-benefit analysis of different hardware/software and identify technology hardware/software for purchase.
• Participates as a member of a development team in feasibility studies and systems analysis for complex automation projects; undertake feasibility studies, systems analysis and design for specific systems and for components of the more complex systems of the Organization, translating user needs into new applications, integrating existing modules, developing local enhancements, etc.
• Under the direction of the designated Africa CDC Incident Commander, and in working closely with AU Procurement, Travel and Stores Division, coordinates delivery of end-to-end IT services in support of Africa CDC Emergency Response activities. The Senior IT officer ensures service delivery in accordance with the AU Management Information System Division policies and guidelines and the Guidelines for Emergency Procurement: Procuring Goods and Services in Emergency Situations as appropriate.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Candidates must have a Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology Management, Health Information Management or related field, and should be certified systems engineers in server administration, network, infrastructure and messaging suites with at least seven (7) years relevant work experience, out of which three (3) years should be at expert level
• Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology Management, Health Information Management or related field, and should be certified systems engineers in server administration, network, infrastructure and messaging suites with at least ten (10) years relevant work experience out of which three (3) years should be at expert level
• Professional experience supporting IT systems for programmes at national level for at least 7 years, as well as experience in the application of appropriate techniques and programming languages.
• Demonstrable experience in creating, maintaining, updating and correcting and improving complex IT applications;
• Demonstrable experience providing technical advice on those applications and resolving problems
• Professional exchange of information with colleagues in the professional community on such questions as use of language and software and with vendors to collect/exchange information on technology.
• Excellent narrative reporting skills;
• Excellent organizational and time-management skills
• Resourceful and skilled at collecting, analyzing and using data to recommend, make and communicate decisions of a technical nature lay audiences;
• Excellent interpersonal relationship practices to meet and deal with persons of diverse backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including excellent word-processing capabilities, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications, experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, Access, Power Point and Word;
• Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) is required. Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
• Ability to deliver under tight deadlines and works well under pressure;
• Analytical and problem solving abilities;
• Ability to use clear, concise language in correspondence as well as including content fitting for the purpose and audiences when preparing written briefs and reports;
• Able to operate in a multicultural environment;
• High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit;
• Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible;
• Pro-active and solutions oriented.
Strategic Insight ….
Developing others ….
Building Relationship ….
Foster Accountability Culture….
Learning Orientation ….
Communicating with Influence ….
Conceptual thinking ….
Job Knowledge and Information Sharing ….
Drive for Result ….
Continuous Improvement Orientation:
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Swahili and Spanish)
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be submitted no later than September 25, 2023. 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 1884