Job title: Principal Creative and Multimedia Officer
Number of posts: 1 (one)
Grade: AU/P4 equivalency
Department: Directorate of Communication and Public Information
Supervisor: Head, Corporate Communication and Public Information
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a non-profit organization established in 2005 with a mission to improve human health through the strengthening and expansion of applied epidemiology and laboratory capacity in partnership with Ministries of Health, Non-Governmental Organizations, international agencies, private sector and other public health agencies. AFENET has its headquarters in Kampala, Uganda with operations in more than 30 African Countries.
Officially launched in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in January 2017 as a specialized technical institution
of the African Union, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) is Africa’s first continent-wide public health agency. Africa CDC envisions a safer, healthier, integrated and stronger Africa, where Member States are capable of effectively responding to outbreaks of infectious diseases and other public health threats. The agency’s mission is to strengthen Africa’s public health institutions’ capabilities to detect and respond quickly and effectively to disease outbreaks and other health burdens through an integrated network of continent-wide preparedness and response, surveillance, laboratory, and research programs. Towards meeting its mission, the Africa CDC will work with African Union (AU) Member States, WHO, and partners in the five geographic regions of the AU to strengthen their capacity in at least five strategic priority areas: (1) public health surveillance and disease intelligence; (2) public health emergency preparedness and response; (3) public health laboratory systems and networks; (4) public health information and technology systems; and (5) public health research and public health institutes.
The Africa CDC invites applications who are citizens of AU Member States to apply for the position of Principal Creative and Multimedia Officer.
The Principal Creative and Multimedia Officer will play a key role in the continued development of Africa CDC’s visual identity, keeping it fresh, consistent and responsive across all channels. He/She will design and produce outstanding multimedia content, including creating eye-catching visual assets, high-quality graphics, and original information design, and overseeing the production of video and animated content.
The officer will lead the creative and multimedia team, coach and mentor staff, and ensure all Africa CDC visual assets produced are of exceptional quality and adhere to the institution’s standard branding guidelines. He will provide support to all divisions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Principal Creative and Multimedia Officer shall;
- Develop and manage Africa CDC’s visual identity across a range of channels
- Design visual content for Africa CDC’s digital communications channels (websites, social media, email marketing, etc.).
- Lead on the design and laying-out of promotional materials.
- Brainstorm, develop and pitch new ideas for execution
- Work with the communications team and other stakeholders to present the information we generate (communications and archaeological) in multimedia formats.
- Work with the communications team on planning, storyboarding and overseeing video content production for Africa CDC channels.
- Take briefs from internal stakeholders and clients advising on the best design solutions and taking this through to completion.
- Use a wide range of specialist design packages, including Adobe Creative Cloud Suite.
Qualification and work experience required:
- A Master’s degree in graphic design, multimedia design, or a related field.
- A minimum of 13 years of experience in multimedia design, video production, or a related field including 5 years at management and supervisory level or
- A bachelor degree with 15 years’ experience and a combination of supervisory skills will be accepted in lieu of the masters.
- Expertise in multimedia software such as Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro, and/or 3D modeling programs etc,.
- Portfolio of examples of high quality design solutions from previous professional roles
- Additional professional training in creative design tools, multimedia related fields and creative design systems
Required Professional Work Experience
- Professional experience working as a creative and multimedia designer
- Broad design experience across online and offline formats and channels
- Experience of creative design for marketing communication and advocacy
- Experience with branding
- Proven experience in producing eye-catching and clear information design
- A solid understanding of design for digital channels, user experience and information architecture Proven experience planning and overseeing the production of high-quality video content
- Experience with other multimedia content production, e.g. animation, VR, GIF
- Good understanding of current design, web technologies, trends and developments
- Excellent understanding of user experience and user interface design
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Skilled user of the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects and Premier Pro
- Competent user of After Effects and Premier Pro
- Talented in turning initial briefs, concepts and ideas into polished final design solutions
- Exceptional expertise skills and knowledge in a range of skills, including graphic design, web development, animation, and video production.
- Excellent Microsoft PowerPoint skills
- Strong level of technical and creative design knowledge and ability
- A natural flair for creative design, including layout/composition, typography, and aesthetic coherence.
- Have a combination of technical and artistic skills.
- Ability to manage time and priorities effectively.
- Abreast with new trends technology and other design systems and tools
- Leadership and management skills
- Creative, innovative, risk taker and a great eye-for details
- A keen eye for color, design, and typography is essential, as well as proficiency in 2D and 3D modeling.
- Background in art, cinematography, animation, and storytelling is an advantage.
- Interest in Public health and health communication
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Clarity and consistency
Applicants must be proficient in at least one of the AU languages (Arabic, English, French, Spanish and Portuguese). Knowledge of one or more additional African Union working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be renewed annually subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Remuneration Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment 46% of basic salary (US$19,724.34), Housing allowance of US$ 26,208 per annum. Thus a total of U$88,811.34 per annum plus Gratuity of 15% of Gross Salary per annum.