Africa CDC is administered by a Governing Board, which provides overall strategic guidance to the secretariat in accordance with African Union policies and procedures. The Board ensures that Africa CDC strategic agenda of prompt and effective disease surveillance, detection and response are integrated into the overall African Union Commission development strategy. The Governing Board is supported by an Advisory and Technical Council, which advises on emerging issues and other matters related to disease control and prevention and provides advice on the strategic plans, advocacy, resource mobilization and activities of Africa CDC.
Day-to-day activities of Africa CDC are coordinated by the secretariat located within the African Union Commission headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, under the leadership of a Director and support of a multidisciplinary team of experts.
Functions of the Governing Board
- Provide strategic guidance to the Secretariat, in accordance with AU policies and procedures.
- Examine decisions and/or proposals submitted by the Secretariat and submit its recommendations to the Advisory and Technical Council.
- Propose amendments to this Statute based on recommendations by the Secretariat.
- Ensure that the Africa CDC strategic agenda of disease surveillance, detection and response are integrated into continental development strategy.
- Approve the designation and re-designation of the Regional Collaborating Centres based on the recommendation of the Regions and on the criteria stipulated in Article 24 of the Statute; and submit the same to the Advisory and Technical Council for noting.
- Assist the Secretariat in resource mobilization.
- Submit annual reports to the Advisory and Technical Council on the activities and achievements of the Africa CDC.
- Examine the Africa CDC action plan, budgets, activity and reports, and recommend the same for approval.
Advisory and Technical Council (The Council)
The Council shall serve as an advisory and Technical body to the Africa CDC.
The Advisory and Technical Council shall advise the Africa CDC on:
- Emerging issues and other related matters of disease control and prevention;
- The strategic plans and activities of the Africa CDC;
- Opinions on advocacy and resources mobilization;
- Different aspects of disease surveillance, detection and response on the African continent;
- Research and study areas and merits of the scientific work of the Africa CDC
Africa CDC Governing Board
Current Board Members (2019-2021)
Inaugural Board Members (2017-2019)